Pretty darn good, but don't eat it if you have a stomach ulcer or a sensitive stomach.
Ingredients:
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 jar (16 oz) salsa
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (14.5 oz) Mexican stewed tomatoes
1 t. each: onion powder, garlic powder, and ground cumin.
12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
2 c. (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
In a large nonstick saucepan coated with nonstick cooking spray**, cook turkey, green pepper, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the beans, salsa, tomato sauce, tomatoes, and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 min.
Spread 1 c. meat sauce into a 13x9x2-inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Top with six tortillas. Spreak with half of remaining meat sauce; sprinkle with 1 c. cheese. Layer with remaining tortillas and meat sauce.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 min. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 min. longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Personal Observations: Do not substitute flour tortillas. I can attest that they turn gooey in the casserole. Not a fan of corn tortillas, I think next time I'll leave out the tortillas and mix in corn chips AFTER baking.
**I opt to use olive oil in these situations.
Gidget's Rating: 4 stars.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment